Varroa Easy Check mite testing kit is designed for effectiveness. The filter basket is the key to the Varroa Easy Check’s reliability:
- Quick and easy to use, 3 easy steps
- Easily transportable and built to last
- Tight-fitting lid is typically leak-free and comfortable to use (leaking can sometime occur if the lid is not aligned properly)
- Two molded guide lines allow for samples of 200 or 300 bees
- Designed for effectiveness: Fallen mites pass through holes in the base and sides of the basket
- Transparent bowl allows accurate counting and reliable sampling
- Supports 3 methods: alcohol wash, powdered sugar and CO2. See this Varroa easyCheck leaflet for more details.
Varroa Easy check instructions monitoring guide here (alcohol wash – typically found to be the most accurate measurement of mites):
- Fill half of the transparent container of the Varroa EasyCheck with the liquid (alcohol or windshield winter washer fluid)
- Collect a sample of 200 or 300 bees with the white basket, preferably from a frame of capped brood (make sure the queen is not in the sample)
- The lines for 200 and 300 bees are indicated inside the basket
- Put the basket back into the transparent bowl and quickly close with the lid, to prevent the bees from escaping
- Gently shake the Varroa EasyCheck® for 1 minute
- Make rotations and side movements to help the mites pass through the holes
- Avoid turning the Varroa EasyCheck upside-down, as it might block the mites inside the lid
- Count the mites directly by looking at the bottom of the transparent container
- Depending on if you took 200 or 300 bees divide the number of counted mites by 2 or 3 to get your infestation rate (%).
- To interpret the results, please consult the Varroa results guide and/or your local thresholds
Varroa Easy Check Results:
Number of mites = % Varroa infestation
9 mites found in 300 bee sample = 3% = treatment should be applied
6 mites found in 200 bee sample = 3% = treatment should be applied
(adjust according to sample size)
Various mite treatments are available depending on the time of the year, temperature, brood presence, honey supers being on the colony, etc.
Depending on location and the time of year, mite alert thresholds range from > 1% to 5%. Check with your local association to determine Varroa Easy Check result thresholds in your area.