Lyson 8/9 Hive is an adaptable polystyrene hive that provides excellent insulation and pries apart easily for a user friendly experience. Beekeepers retain control, having the ability to hold 9 frames in brood boxes and 8 or 9 frames in honey supers.
- Bottom board with removable tray for varroa testing and ventilation
- Mouse guard/entrance reducer/closure
- Two deep hive bodies (with assembly screws)
- Cloth inner cover
- 8 frame plastic queen excluder
- Outer Cover
- 8 polystyrene plugs and 8 black plastic venting plugs for hive bodies and outer cover
- Both plastic and wooden Langstroth deep frames will fit this hive, but frames are not included
- Comes unassembled and unpainted. We recommend painting with an exterior grade latex paint.
- We recommend using 9 frames In brood boxes, or 8 frames plus two follower boards against the box sides.
- In honey supers, use 9 frames of foundation or 8 frames of drawn comb. Be sure to space frames evenly.
- The individual components can be ordered separately: 8/9 bottom board, 8/9 top cover, 8/9 hive deep or medium
Dimensions & Weight:
- Hive outside dimensions are 27 1/2″ high x 22 1/2″ deep x 16 1/8″ wide.
- Hive internal dimensions are 21 1/2″ high x 18 3/8″ deep x 13″ wide
- Hive weight without frames is 19 1/2 pounds.
Additional note: The 8/9 Lyson hive system is not compatible with other polystyrene systems. However, some 8 frame wooden components can be used. Standard 8 frame wooden boxes fit without creating gaps. Wooden 8 frame feeding shims and inner covers can also be used. Some bee space dimensions are not maintained when other components are used. We recommend using a strap to secure the hive as the wood components will not interlock with the Lyson 8/9 boxes.