To feed Global Patties pollen patties, first locate the center of the cluster (this is where brood are being raised). Gently smoke the bees down and place one patty on the top bars right in the center of the cluster. On large colonies, use two or three patties, covering the whole brood area.
Be sure that the side with the perforated paper is down so that the bees have access to the patty though the holes underneath. Strong colonies will chew up the paper quickly. For weak colonies, removing the bottom paper may be advisable. Return in a week and replace any patties that have been consumed. Move any patties that we not consumed into the center.
Global Patties pollen patties contain five simple ingredients; soya flour, brewers yeast, sugar, water and pollen. However, there are also pollen patties that do not contain pollen ( sometime we have them in stock / sometime special order – contact us for stock level details).
- In the Spring, we recommend 15% patties or more for a faster build-up so that the hive is strong and ready for the honey flow
- However, if you start feeding early then 4% winter food would be sufficient for a steady-build up until natural pollen is available
- In the Fall and Winter, 4% patties is a sufficient amount of pollen to have a steady consumption rate to build up strong winter bees
- Also available is a patty with 0% pollen (special order item)
Percent % of Pollen
The amount of pollen the global pollen patties does not determine the nutritional or protein value, but in fact, the consumption rate. Depending on how strong your hives are and how fast you want the hive brood to build up, will determine what percentage you should be feeding. At 4% winter food patty you will have a slower consumption rate, and a steady-build up. At 15% spring pollen protein patty you have a much faster build-up but much faster consumption rate as well, meaning you will have to feed more often. You can find more information on the Global Patties FAQ page.
REGULAR or WIDE Pollen Patties?
- Patties are available in regular and wide styles
- Regular patties are 1 pound
- Wide patties can be ordered as 1.5 or 2.5 pounds ( the wide patties are mostly used by commercial beekeepers to speed up the feeding process as they last longer and require fewer trips to the bee yard).