BetterComb is a completely drawn comb made of food-grade, virgin, synthetic wax, similar in composition to beeswax. Unlike regular foundation, BetterComb does not need to be drawn out by the bees. When installed into a deep frame (not included), the frame is ready for the bees to use. BetterComb provide bees instant access to space for brood or nectar without needing time and resources to draw out comb.
There are several advantages to using drawn comb over standard foundation. BetterComb can significantly benefit both packages and nucleus colonies. When packages are first installed in a hive, they must draw out comb before raising brood. By allowing immediate egg laying, BetterComb encourages rapid brood production, which increases the colony’s productivity. Similarly, when nucleus colonies are first installed in their hives, the bees may begin storing nectar in the brood nest of the nuc, as it may be the only space available. If the brood area becomes plugged with nectar, the colony’s swarming impulse can be triggered. BetterComb gives bees built-out space to expand.
BetterComb Foundation Notes:
- BetterComb is sold in 10 packs of comb similar to a 10-pack of foundation
- It needs to be installed into a fully wired groove top wooden frame.
- The combs are 17″ by 8″ to fit standard deep frames with a 5.35-5.4mm cell size.
- Please note frames may vary, however it is possible to cut BetterComb with a knife to reduce the size if needed.
- Combs can be embedded into fully wired frames. Wired frames are versatile and can be used in hot climates as well and with honey.
- Combs can also be pinned into frames with toothpicks and require your frames have endbar holes in order to utilize this method. Pinned foundation may sag in hot climates and we recommend the wiring method above in these areas of the country.
- Instructions are included with each shipment to aid in installing the foundation.
What is BetterComb Foundation made from?
BetterComb is produced from synthetic wax similar in chemical composition to beeswax. The wax is a mixture of ingredients synthesized from mineral and plant sources, and contains no animal fats or byproducts.
Is it safe?
Yes. BetterComb is produced in accordance with FDA requirements for food contact and is produced in an ISO 22000-certified facility. All ingredients are food or pharmaceutical grade, and do not include any toxic or harmful ingredients.
How do bees use BetterComb?
Bees use BetterComb as they use any other comb once they become acquainted with it. Queens will lay eggs and raise brood in the BetterComb, and workers will store pollen and nectar in it. Bees will repair and adjust the comb just as they do with real comb.
Can I mix it with other frames?
Yes. There are certain configurations that work best when mixing with other frames. Alternating frames is not recommended. See photos in instructions for additional information.
Can I extract the frames?
BetterComb foundation frames are fragile unless assembled with wires. We do not recommend extracting the frames unless the combs are installed into fully wired frames. This item does not include parts needed for wiring.
What do I do with the wax at end of life?
At the end of a frame’s useful life, the combs can be melted down. The resulting wax can be used for candles, but is not beeswax. We have found the BetterComb wax and mixtures with beeswax make excellent candles.
How is it Made?
See the synthetic wax manufacturing facility at Hexacell in Hungary
Shipping Note: This item ships “at your own risk” from our facility in Minooka IL during the winter months due to being very brittle with low temperatures.