Lyson Polystyrene Insulated Top Feeder – whether it’s syrup or patties, this feeder has you covered! With reinforced plastic edges and a stainless steel ladder, you don’t have to worry about whether or not this feeder will be there for years to come, it will. More than it’s ruggedness, it’s simple use and 3 gallon capacity saves you time.
How to Use:
Place the feeder on your hive with the metal gate and slot over the back of your hive (not over the entrance of your hive). If you are feeding sugar syrup, be sure that the sliding gate is closed. Pour sugar syrup directly into the tank of the feeder. The bees will then be able to access the syrup but not drown in it. This feeder can hold about three gallons of syrup. Open the sliding gate in the stainless ladder to feed patties instead of syrup in the reservoir if desired. Simply open the gate and place the patties directly inside of the tank of the feeder.
- A pair of latches (not shown) secure the top feeder to your other hive components.
- We recommend painting the exterior of all polystyrene equipment with an exterior grade latex paint to protect it from the UV rays.
- Fits Lyson 10 frame polystyrene insulated hives. Does not fit wooden hives.
- Pick up syrup so you are ready to go
How to Feed Sugar Syrup:
Spring Feeding: Create a 1:1 syrup using 1 lb. water (2 cups) to 1lb. sugar.
Fall Feeding: Make a 2:1 syrup using 2 lb. sugar per 1 lb. of water.
- When making syrup, water must be very hot to dissolve sugar
- Do not feed sugar syrup during cold weather when bees are not able to take cleansing flights
- Do not feed sugar syrup until it is warm enough for bees to fly regularly. If the weather is still too cold, feed winter patties. Pollen patties are used to stimulate build-up of hives in anticipation of the spring flow, but don’t feed them too early because pollen supplements will cause rapid expansion, and there may not be enough bees to keep the brood warm.
We recommend painting the Lyson Polystyrene Insulated Top Feeder with exterior grade latex paint to protect against the elements.
- External: 21-1/2″ x 17-3/4″ x 6-5/8″
See Lyson site for additional details.