Lyson Hive Top Feeder is a 1.75 gallon feeder works exclusively with Lyson and Anel hive equipment.
To use, remove inner cover and place directly on top of the uppermost box that has bees in it. (Outer telescoping cover should go directly on top of the feeder.) Bees enter from the bottom of the feeder and are kept from the bulk of the syrup by a plastic insert that acts as a wall between the access and the syrup so the bees will not drown.
Made from injection molded plastic.
- Works with Lyson and Anel 10 frame hives
- Do not use an inner cover when using this feeder to prevent bees from getting into the syrup and drowning!
- Pick up syrup so you are ready to go
How to Feed Sugar Syrup:
Spring Feeding: Create a 1:1 syrup using 1 lb. water (2 cups) to 1lb. sugar.
Fall Feeding: Make a 2:1 syrup using 2 lb. sugar per 1 lb. of water.
Lyson Top Feeder Notes:
- When making syrup, water must be very hot to dissolve sugar
- Optionally use pre-made Pro Sweet syrup – the Ultimate in feeding!
- Do not feed sugar syrup during cold weather when bees are not able to take cleansing flights
- Do not feed sugar syrup until it is warm enough for bees to fly regularly. If the weather is still too cold, feed winter patties. Pollen patties are used to stimulate build-up of hives in anticipation of the spring flow, but don’t feed them too early because pollen supplements will cause rapid expansion, and there may not be enough bees to keep the brood warm.
See Lyson website for additional details.